Monday, March 2, 2009

Housing False Starts

Below is a digitally vandalized version of a Flash ad I saw yesterday on a major DC metro website.


This was a rather large skyscraper-format ad run by a company that has consistently ranked among the top ten large-volume homebuilders during the crest of the 2000s U.S. housing bubble.

For some reason the ad has huge expanses of white space, some of which I filled with my own vulgar “copy.”

I omitted the bottom section, which looks almost blank.  If you mouseover this area on the real ad, you will see links to “quick move-in homes” in:

“Suburban Maryland ~ From the $500s
“Baltimore Metro ~ From the $300s
“Eastern Shore ~ From the mid $200s

(These items may be geographically filtered based on my user profile, which indicates that I am a Maryland resident.)

If you click on any of these, you will be taken to the builder’s website featuring listings of luxurious exurban McMansions.

Perhaps the builder is counting on the fact that oil prices have partially collapsed due to the global economic contraction, so high-consumption-oriented prospective homebuyers are more likely to tolerate long commutes to job centers like D.C. and Baltimore.

In any case, the original unvandalized ad struck me as perverse and even anachronistic in March 2009.

1 comment:

Subterranean Suburbanite Hausfrau said...

Erm, basic English composition skills FAIL.

Just to clarify the first sentence, in case it isn’t obvious, I vandalized this ad with Photoshop for my own sick amusement.

That would be a pretty nifty trick if a hacker did it on the original website.

I blame Twitter.  It is fragmenting my inner logorrhea into ever more disjointed & incoherent sub-units.