Wednesday, March 11, 2009

“How nifty, Barbie®’s fifty”

(WARNING: Skip this digressive post if you hate bubblegum pink and/or prefer to steer clear of the general morass of American popular culture.)

I watch the news semi-regularly and I’ll bet that more than a few Americans have noticed that the network news anchors have started softening their evening broadcasts with lots of uplifting, aw-shucks human-interest stories.

These segments are obviously meant to serve as antidotes to the steady stream of bad news bearishness bombarding us from the global marketplace.

Perhaps these salt-of-the-earth profiles of courage and altruism are there to inspire and shame the hoi polloi into staying put in their overstuffed couches instead of taking to the streets armed with steak knives and handguns.  (They could be right; many people seem to be pushing aside their woes and seeking comfort in entertainment and social connections right now.)

A few days back the well-coiffed talking head personality anchors were paying homage to that paragon of perfect, injection-molded plastic womanhood, Barbie®, who débuted early in 1959.

Amidst the retrospective coverage of this pop culture milestone, I heard about a bizarre Mattel® product launch from 1975, “Growing Up Skipper®.”  This junior cousin of Barbie® was an “action” figurine; if you cranked her arm, her torso elongated and her bust “grew.”

Actual marketing copy printed on the box:

“She’s 2 dolls in 1 for twice as much fun!”
“Make her grow from a young girl to a teenager in seconds!”
“Cute little girl! ... Tall, curvy teenager!”

This “toy” should have been packaged with a miniature paperback book:
Are You There God?  It’s Me, Body-Dysmorphic Skipper®


For those of you who think that toys and play time don’t have a lasting impact on children, check out this caustically funny commentary [warning: language].  It’s a blistering account of mid-seventies childhood drama between the author and her cousin, allegedly the Growing Up Skipper® doll’s “most fevered and devoted disciple.”

Incidentally, 1975 is the same year The Stepford Wives hit U.S. theaters, presenting Americans with an assault on the ideal of suburban domestic perfection by swapping pretty, docile, affluent suburban housewives with near-identical animatronic body doubles.

* * *

The media blitz on the Barbie® merchandising empire & its cultural aftershocks led me to dig up an arty artifact from the eighties.
This unnamed cult film has a running time of about three-quarters of an hour and looks like it was partly shot on Super 8.  Official prints were yanked and destroyed in the wake of a copyright suit won about two decades ago.  Bootleg copies still circulate; I don’t name the filmmaker, title, or subject here because I don’t want the files to get pulled.  But if you have any familiarity with American popular music of the 1970s, then you can probably follow along here.

The film imaginatively dramatizes the real-life story of a woman was who the vocalist/drummer of a ubiquitous brother-and-sister pop powerhouse with lots of lush orchestral chart-topping hits throughout the early-to-mid-’70s.  (Can you guess which one?)

It’s a lovingly enacted 1:9-scale tragedy of female suffering, complete with painstakingly crafted miniature props and sophisticated mise-en-scène featuring Barbie® line dolls outfitted in dead-ringer ’70s and early ’80s fashions.

Without further ado, click here (Youtube) if you’re still curious.  (Right after the page loads, try pausing the player in order to give the stream a chance to buffer footage a few minutes ahead.)

* * *

“The early seventies had felt like the last moment of pure, popular culture fantasy and fakeness that I shared with my parents, when we were still united in this image of happy American familyhood.  And The C________s’ music seemed especially emblematic of that time.”

the auteur who directed and co-wrote the film linked above
What’s a little startling to me is this: as a child growing up in the Washington area in the late ’70s through mid-’80s, in many ways I lived in a late ’60s through mid-’70s time warp.  This is because my decidedly Establishment parents listened to a lot of WGAY* and their LP collection consisted of selections like the orchestral folk-pop stylings of The Sandpipers and the soundtrack to Ryan’s Daughter.

While my spouse’s boomer parents were more plugged into the “counterculture” and familiar with the mid-to-late Beatles catalogue and even ventured into the post-punk and new wave territory of bands like Talking Heads and the Clash, as a tyke I remember being enthralled by cheesy Las-Vegas-revue-like pop arrangements such as Steve Lawrence’s rendition of “Go Away Little Girl”.

This decade-lagging anachrony from early childhood may explain some of the chronic cultural disorientation and confusion that afflicts me to this day.

* * *

And finally we have Sonic Youth’s cover of a song that was a signature Top Ten hit by that same ’70s pop group.  (The Sonic Youth interpretation was originally released as part of a 1994 tribute album.)

The vid features Thurston Moore as Tragic Troubadour Ken™ and Kim Gordon as Rocker Chick Couture Barbie™.

* * *

So here’s wishing a belated happy birthday to that indestructible American icon, Barbie®, and that princess of 1970s pop perfection, Karen C________ (March 2, 1950 – February 4, 1983).
* For those of you who didn’t live in the D.C. area before 1990 or so, WGAY was an adult contemporary easy-listening radio station.  (Its transmitter was located on Kemp Mill Road in Wheaton before it moved to the World Building in downtown Silver Spring.)

(More trivia:  According to this source, oddly enough, the “GAY” in WGAY originally stood for “Government And You” way back in the forties.)

5 comments:

Thomas Hardman said...

"Sleepless in Slumburbia" wrote, in-part:

I watch the news semi-regularly and I’ll bet that more than a few Americans have noticed that the network news anchors have started softening their evening broadcasts with lots of uplifting, aw-shucks human-interest stories.

In the meantime, Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Subterranean Suburbanite Hausfrau said...

Hmm, I see that the “Happy Fun Ball” segment comes from SNL’s Canadian Comedic Conspiracy era of the early 1990s where Lorne Michaels had almost as many Canucks in the cast as “The Kids In The Hall” did.

Apropos of little else, here’s a KITH skit on Canadian-American cross-cultural stereotypes & intimate personal grooming products.

* * *

I have to institute a temporary moratorium on the use of pink on this blog.  I mainly used it here as a deterrent for men/boys/tomboys who don’t want to read a lot of junk about fashion dollies & feminist/post-feminist arthouse fare.  However, gender deconstructivists, metrosexuals, and open-minded latter-day suburban boho free spirits may still appreciate some of the links.

Thomas Hardman said...

Please, not the PINK!

I stopped going to Goth clubs when it was declared that "pink was the New black". It's not so much that it represented any particular thing, it's just that it made my eyes hurt.

Thanks for the Canadian humor fix. There are a lot of times when I get to thinking that at some point in time, there was some sort of divergence, some fork in the road, and the fine frontier people who were once the majority of northamericans split into two factions, one of which turned out mostly okay.

People keep wondering why I want to see a multiplicity of parties rather than just two, as we have in US politics. Canada has such a multiplicity of political parties, and they also have a robust and active democracy. In terms of being a world leader, Canada isn't known for world-shaking anything, but they generally are healthy, eat well, somehow manage to stay warm in their appalling winters, and they're generally nice.

They're loved and respected all over the world, more or less, and we Americans are some of the movers and shakers of everything everywhere... but nobody minds representing us as idiots in cowboy hats on dope and with venereal afflictions... and worse yet, nobody finds such caricatures to be the least bit unbelievable.

But I'm not sure I'd like to end up like the Canadians, with good government and good beer. Whatever would we have left to blog about?

Thomas Hardman said...

Sledding mishaps. Ah, right. That would be Canada, or lots of it. I'm a bit reminded of Tolkein's take on "the Shire", rather a sleepy place where the big events tended to be harvest festivals or beer festivals or festivals about festivals or anything that could be used as an excuse to gather and drink and have some song and dance. But the big news was about runaway pigs or someone's watermelons getting nicked.

But let's be fair to Canada, let's look at Farmington NM where I was born and which I've visited a few times. Usually the big news there is that someone's pickup got washed off the road in a flash-flood during the rare cloudbursts. However, like Canada, or like "the Shire", sometimes affairs of the world reach even to the farthest corners of the world. Farmington has some claim to local fame as the place where a lot of Navajo boarded the bus to go to special training for the Pacific theater in WWII. Hobbits indeed, I guess. Might not have won the war without them.


A DC BDSM scene review from 1999 will give you some idea of the State of the Goth Union. This is from about when I started to realize that I was getting too old for this sort of stuff, not that it was exactly my scene. You see, a lot of the folks still doing the Goth look are doing it as a sort of outgrowth of Fetishism or as a sort of side-effect of BDSM and/or LGBT, and none of those is my "thang". Shortly after the time of that review is when the Fashion Mavens declared that pink was the new black, and if I could have stood that sort of thing, I might as well have been hanging out at Raves and being driven mad by hallucinating love-puppy club-kids on "X" and Acid-House/Techno. And I was definitely too old for that.

As I have told a lot of folks, I'm not so much Goth as I am Gothic. Goth is a subculture and a fashion statement and a reason for Hot Topic to exist. Gothic is more eternal, as it were. Fashions come and go but spooky gloomy darkness and the fears that lurk within, well, that's as old as cavemen hunkered down around a fire in the mouth of some cave, not sure whether they're more scared of what might be in the outer darkness or what might live further back in the cave beyond the reach of the firelight.

Rather like those cavemen, I kind of like basking in the warmth and glow of suburban MoCo, but I've done my shift in the outer darkness, and unlike perhaps most of my fellow denizens of District 4, I actually like to go down into the Weirdness that is Washington, witlessly wandering, as it were, deeper into the darkness of the cave to see if I can see what's back there... though generally I have enough sense to back off when I hear the heavy breathing of something large, unseen, unpleasant, and hungry.

I like music like Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, really old Talking heads from before they decided to make money doing party tunes, but I also like GoGos and B-52s, so sue me for being inconsistent. Goths these days, at least those hereabouts, tend to be more into Industrial or variations on Industrial Metal.

And for what it's worth, Barbie, Madonna, and myself, we're all the same age.

And two out of three are rich, famous, and/or had lasting influence on culture and fashion... and also had more sense than to get involved in politics.

As for what sort of bar to have out here? I think we need more hole-in-the-wall alterna-places. Lord knows how much money could be made with a combination of a bookstore, a bar, and a coffee-shop with WiFi and maybe selling cool t-shirts on the side...

Subterranean Suburbanite Hausfrau said...

Oops......  I deleted a comment I put up here (posted late 3/12 / early 3/13) because it annoyed me....

Unfortunately this makes Hardman’s response look like a total non sequitur.  But I saved the text so I could figure out why it pissed me off, so I’m restoring it here below.

— — —

“…open-minded latter-day suburban boho free spirits…”

This covers beer-swilling, chain-smoking(?) pagan politicians, by the way.


“I stopped going to Goth clubs when it was declared that ‘pink was the New black’.”

Wow, I never got that memo.  Was that when the ’80s/new-wave fashion revival was in full swing and kids were wearing lots of bold horizontal stripes?

What goth clubs would those be, btw?

One of my college roommates (who was into bands like Marilyn Manson, Big Black, the Afghan Whigs and Birthday Party at the time) once told me about a S&M/B&D club she went to (in D.C.?) where everybody was super-nice when they weren’t engaged in all the kinky power play.  I wonder how popular that kind of junk still is in D.C.—it makes a lot of sense, actually.

As far as old gothish music goes I like some Bauhaus and a little Cure is okay (e.g. “Primary” and the stuff off of Disintegration) but I’m more into EATB which is more psychedelic than goth.  (I definitely have a weakness for British punk/post-punk/new wave.)

I used to occasionally go to the 9:30 Club before they got very expensive and the Black Cat before I got too old.  Went to the old Capitol Ballroom a couple of times, too.  But I’ve got no goth scene cred to speak of.  I don’t think I’m pale enough to pull off the goth look well, either.


“It's not so much that it represented any particular thing, it's just that it made my eyes hurt.”

Somebody once told me that my aura was pale pink, which I found very mortifying.


“But I'm not sure I'd like to end up like the Canadians, with good government and good beer. Whatever would we have left to blog about?”

So true.  I was listening to CBC’s “As It Happens” on WAMU a little while back and they spent like 10 minutes talking about this little boy who averted a disastrous sledding mishap, no joke.  Maybe that’s partly why so many Secretly Canadian agents hide among us subverting our governments, media, & arts/culture.

Actually, I believe that the Secretly Canadian indie label is about as Canadian as Half Japanese is Half Japanese.


Oh crap.  I just looked HJ up on youtube and noticed they played a reunion show in D.C. [relatively recently] and I #&$@ing missed it.  Damn, I am old + out of touch.

Maybe I can accelerate toward my mid-life crisis now and not wait the customary 5-10 years.

Depression/recession == perfect excuse for cultural ferment & indulgence

If I had a slumburban club it would have to be a subterranean cabaret / speakeasy.